The National Youth Convention (NYC) is a unique opportunity, held every four year years for Mennonite Brethren high school students to gather together from a wide variety of churches all across the US. This event is a creative mix of powerful worship music, exciting Bible study, interesting speakers, creative workshops, and challenging ministry opportunities.
National youth gatherings are a significant part of the larger US Conference vision. At similar events over the years youth have been called to make first time commitments to Jesus, heard a call to full-time ministry, and resulted in countless changed lives.
The next National Youth Convention will be help April 9-12, 2015 at Hyatt Regency Downtown and Colorado Convention Center.
The theme of the 2015 event is "Named," from Matt. 16:13-16. In this passage Jesus asks Simon Peter, "Who do you say I am?" Simon Peter answers, "You're the messiah the Son of the living God." Upon his thoughtful reflection and declaration of Jesus' identify, Peter is given a new name, a name that captures the essence of his identity and mission.
Our desire is that students will reflect deeply on who Jesus is and in doing so, grapple with our identity as individuals, churches and as a conference. The theme, Named, will be infused in every aspect of the convention. read more
Youth Workers Summit
The Youth Workers Summit will be held March 28-30, 2014 onsite in Denver to give youth workers a preview of the location and to gather their input regarding the event. It is also a time to offer practical training from qualified youth leader experts and give church youth workers a brief retreat for fellowship and renewal.
National Youth Committee
The US Conference National Youth Committee is commissioned by the National Leadership Board, and collaborates with our five districts and three MB educational institutions: Tabor College, Fresno Pacific University, and Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary. The NYC 2015 committee consists of:
- Kyle Goings (Central District) Youth Pastor at Bible Fellowship Church in Rapid City, SD firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeral Gross (Central District) Banker/Farmer, member of Salem MB Church in Bridgewater, SD email@example.com
- Matt Ford (Pacific District) Youth Pastor at North Fresno MB Church in Fresno, CA firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keith Warkentin (Pacific District) Youth Pastor at Birch Bay Bible Community Church in Birch Bay, WA email@example.com
- Russ Claassen (Southern District) District Youth Minister and part-time Youth Pastor at Koerner Heights MB Church in Newton, KS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jarod Richardson (Southern District) Worship Pastor at Discovery Bible Fellowship in Collinsville, OK email@example.com
- Joanna Chapa (LAMB District) Short-Term Mission Mobilizer with MB Mission in Hillsboro, KS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Eidse (North Carolina District) Pastor at Boone MB Church in Lenoir, NC email@example.com
San Antonio 2011
San Antonio 2011 was a huge success with over 800 high schoolers and 100 leaders in attendance representing all five of our districts spread across our nation.
Participants responded with enthusiasm to the worship led by Stories in Braille as well as the guest speakers, Shane Claiborne and Paula Simpson-Parry. The students packed out dozens of seminar rooms and were enthusiastic about growing in their commitment to be faithful followers of Jesus.
San Antonio was strategically chosen by the planning team as it offered various ministry opportunities throughout the city. Groups spread out to show God's love to the community through service. Several projects including working with Habitat for Humanity in helping to lay new flooring and install a new roof on a housing project; cleaning up graffiti in a local neighborhood, sponsoring a carnival for children at a developmental service organization and doing repairs and general maintenance at a community center as well as many other projects going on simultaneously all over the city.
There are many other ways to get involved, serve and experience what God is doing all over the globe. Do you want to work with inner city ministries or find out about some short term mission trips? Maybe you are considering ministry as your career and are interested in starting some leadership training...just GO! Whatever you're considering, learn more by clicking on the GO link, or visit the websites for SOAR, TREK, ACTION and MINISTRY QUEST.